UV mapping my Asset’s

Overall UV mapping has been difficult but I have learnt a lot through trial and error along the way. It is quite time consuming but if ya want to texture correctly, it’s gotta be done. Maybe as I continue to practice my workflow will be more efficient as I learn various ways to map a more complicated object. I don’t even want to think how difficult it will be to map a more organic model.

I have found some very handy tips from different videos. Not all videos have been helpful but a little bit in each has helped me to understand the whole process more.

The video linked above had a few pointers that really helped me to understand mapping from either the X,Y or Z axis… this information has been invaluable in my progress.

My first attempt at UV mapping went well, I began with my birdcage. Although it took a while to get into, I feel I did a good enough job at it. Below is a screenshot of it’s final mapping.

BIRD_CAGE_1.2

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 10.28.05

Another asset I felt the UV mapping went well was my orrery model. (shown below with UV’s)

ORRERY_SOLAR_2

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 11.05.31

I had modelled a steampunk styled lamp, but I think I had some modelling issues which lead to my UV mapping to not work out so well, no matter how much I tried to fix it. I can’t seem to sale the UV’s without them becoming distorted, although this is only happening for certain sections, it has really just put me off this silly lamp. I’m done with the

STEAMPUNK_LAMP

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s